Manufactured by DaniscoProtecting oils and fats from natural or chemical oxidation remains one of the challenges for the food industry. Consumers are increasingly accepting antioxidants, and medical authorities have demonstrated antioxidants to be beneficial to human health. Today, antioxidants are regarded as essential elements of modern foodstuff.
At Gillco, we provide solutions to control oil and fat oxidation in all kinds of food products and have emerged as the industry leader within chemical as well as natural antioxidants. Since most antioxidants come from nature itself and are better perceived by consumers, processors and authorities, we focus on providing new solutions based on natural ingredients or foodstuffs.
Antioxidants are products that slow down the lipid oxidation process and consequently delay the development of rancidity.
We differentiate between three types of antioxidants:
- Natural extracts, such as rosemary extract
- Phenolics, such as BHA (butylated hydroxyl anisole), BHT (butylated hydroxyl toluene), TBHQ (tertiary butyl hydroquinone) and propyl gallate
- Vitamin based, such as ascorbyl palmitate and various tocopherols
They work at different phases of the lipid oxidation process.
The key customer benefit is shelf-life extension by delaying oxidative rancidity.
Additional benefits include:
- Consistent product quality from batch to batch by minimising variation in taste, aroma, colour and texture
- No loss in nutritional value
- Label friendly
The need for effective solutions against lipid oxidation is growing due to the rise of unsaturated fats as a healthier alternative to saturated fats, increased use of environmentally friendly packaging materials and more complex food processing for the convenience food market.
To find the most effective antioxidant for your specific application, please contact a Sales Specialist at 1-800-525-0732.
Main application areas
- Fats and oils
- Margarines and spreads
- Soups and sauces
- Dressings and marinades
- Processed meat and fish products
- Bakery products such as cereals, biscuits and crackers